In everyday life, we need to use different types of grocery items and from all those items plastic wrap is also needed. It’s a part of our kitchen as we are very busy in our everyday life. In most of the time we use it to keep our food fresh. Now if I have to answer the question “Can you put saran wrap in the microwave?” then it won’t be easy.
Here I cannot answer the question by saying Yes or No. Let’s try to find the answer steps by steps.
Table of Contents
In 1933, Ralph Wiley a worker of Dow Chemical accidentally discovered polyvinylidene chloride. After discovering that he was use it to producing plastic wrap in 1949. At first, many companies were using this PVdC for producing plastic wrap.
But after knowing that plastic is harmful not only for the environment but also for our health then they try to use other things. At that time many of them switched to another formula LDPE (Low-Density Polyethylene) which is less harmful.
There are different types of plastic wrap in the market such as:
- Kirkland Brand Stretch-Tite Plastic Wrap
- Saran Premium Plastic Wrap
- Bee’s Wrap Reusable Storage Wrap
- Glad Press’n Seal Wrap
- AEP Zipsafe Sealwrap, etc.
Here we have to know about the saran wrap as the question is Can you put saran wrap in the microwave?
What Is Saran Wrap?
According to the information, Dow Chemical Company had become the first company that designed cling wrap for commercial use. In 1953 they started to sell it for the households. After that in 1998, SC Johnson took over ‘Saran’ from Dow.
Here the word ‘Saran’ came from the name of John Reilly’s wife and daughter Sarah and Ann Reilly.
This thin and clingy plastic wrap was sold in rolls which were primarily used for wrapping food. At that time it became very popular within a time for preserving food items and stored in the refrigerator.
Besides, this wrap is safe polyethylene and BPA-free as the company was concerns about the safety of PVDC.
Can You Put Saran Wrap In The Microwave?
First of all yes you can. Because many consumers of saran wrap are using it in the microwave. But there is a question if it is scientifically okay to use the saran wrap in the microwave. As we know that plastic is very harmful to both our health and the environment.
Here is a study of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) which advises people to not use any plastic wrap in the microwave.
They also said that people can use it if that plastic wrap has labeled “microwave safe”. It goes the same for plastic food containers. Besides, the FDA approves only that wrap which has chances of getting PVC into food less than 1%.
So if the wrap’s PVC is more than 1% then it is not suitable for use in the microwave. For saran plastic wrap you can find that the company tries to use safe polyethylene.
On the other hand, some people are thinking that the use of the saran wrap in a microwave may cause cancer. However, the UK Cancer Research institute reports that there is no scientific evidence about it.
But if that plastic wrap melts with your food then it may cause health problems. According to the information of saran wrap, it has a temperature limit. If you heat saran wrap at 220-250° Fahrenheit it will be melt. So you can use it less than that temperature.
What To Consider Before Choosing A Saran Wrap For Microwave?
- You have to find the Labelled “Microwave Safe” on the saran wrap. Because there are many plastic wraps in the market which might not have a “Microwave Safe” label.
- You have to take care that the wrap should not touch the food. Since the wrap can be mixed with food at a high temperature of microwave. Also, you have to provide venting for the food.
- As saran wrap is airproof, you can make some holes in the wrap before you put it in your microwave. Because there is a possibility that I can release air in your food and burst or melt it at high temperature.
- You should not try to cover the oily foods with saran wrap. Because when you try to warm oily food it will get too hot and can melt with the wrap. As the oily food are tends to become hotter when we are heating them.
- You have to try not to use the saran wrap for more than 5 minutes at once. Try to turn off your microwave after 5 minutes of use. For a long time cooking, you have to lower the temperature as much as possible.
- Always try to give some space between your food and the saran wrap. I will suggest you keep the gap at least 1 inch. Because sometimes food can be melted and mixed with saran wrap. So using that space will reduce the chances of the wrap melting while you are cooking in your microwave oven.
When To Avoid Saran Wraps?
Try to avoid eating foods with melted saran wrap residue. If you find that the wrap is getting into food then try to avoid that food. It might become poisonous and can cause harm to your health.
Always try to use a wrap that is made of safe polyethylene and BPA-free. Saran wrap is that kind of wrap which is BAP-free and safe so you can use it easily for your microwave.
What About The Other Plastic Wraps?
Saran is not the only plastic wrap brand, there are many brands as I mention above. Now if I took some of such as Kirkland Brand Stretch-Tite Plastic Wrap, Bee’s Wrap Reusable Storage Wrap, and Glad Press’n Seal Wrap then you can easily find them both in the online and offline supermarket. Also, they are microwave proof so you can use them inside your microwave.
Non-microwavable Plastic Wraps
The chances of getting non-microwavable plastic wrap are much less in the offline supermarket. As they have proven in government tests and ensuring that these won’t melt or break down.
About plastic chemicals, as it is harmful to health all these are passed by the government’s safety standards. Besides, for the online, you may find one where they may not produce it for food purposes.
Safety Precautions For Using Microwave Ovens
- Avoid using metal bowls or utensils. Because it may be caused any accident like you can get an electric shock or heat.
- Always try to use glass, ceramic, and sometimes microwave proof plastic.
- Try to avoid cooking all foods at the same time or for a long time. Especially for that food which is oily and solid.
- Try to heat the food until it bubbling or steaming and for that, you have to heat your food at least 75 degrees Celsius. After some time you have to check the food if all is okay or not.
- Avoid using uncover food in the microwave because it can be exploded and caused an accident. It is especially for food with fat and liquid.
- Always try to check your food more frequently as different food need different types of heat. For example, the food that needs more time to cook.
- People suggest avoiding cooking food like meat because it takes a lot of time. However, if you do that then try to check the microwave more frequently.
- Please keep clean your microwave often and for this, you have to follow the rules which are given in the microwave’s using book. For example, you can use good detergent, clean cloth, and hot water.
- Avoid microwaving the take-out containers and paper bags. As they are not safe plastic so it can be harmful to your health. Also, the paper bag can be heated up and caused a fire.
- In every microwave, there are some rules about which is safe to do and which is not. Every company gives a book with it when you will buy it. So try to read that carefully.
Wrapping It Up
Finally, we can conclude that the number of using saran wrap is increasing day by day as there is no harmful comical on it. They are using it inside and outside of the microwave. On the other, if you can follow some rules then you can easily use it inside the microwave.
Especially keep it in your mind that you have to maintain the temperature and time. Besides, look at the safety label of the plastic wrap and microwave.